Sunday, September 29, 2019

The Depression Cure by Dr. Stephen S. Ilardi

A friend of mine was recommended this book and gifted me a copy.  A few weeks (couple of months) after that, my work decided to bring him in for a series of wellness seminars related to depression and gave anyone interested a copy of the book.  I took it as a sign to read it, plus he’s based out of Lawrence and KU, so even better.

Dr. Ilardi goes through a 6-item (steps, but I would say items is a better description) program he created to help battle depression.  In general, here are the 6 pieces:

  1. Diet rich in Omega-3’s (or supplements)
  2. Exercise
  3. Natural sunlight (or usage of a light box)
  4. Get enough sleep
  5. Social connections
  6. Participation in meaningful activities to keep you engaged (and not ruminating)
I found the book fascinating.  I only struggle with a tiny bit of mild depression here and there, but I do struggle with significant anxiety.  It made me wonder how much of it would help me and I realized I’ve already been adding some of these things in and it has made a noticeable difference.  I have been traveling and presenting quite a bit lately for work and normally the lack of sleep I’ve also recently had would have caused this to be nearly impossible for me to do without freaking out.  But, a few months back at the advice of my chiropractor, I added in an omega 3 supplement.  Similarly, I have been doing better about exercising regularly.  (Still working on it).  I also have a non-related connection to someone I can call a best friend.  I am sure these things all worked in helping me cope and I think also shown that this protocol can be effective (at least antidotally) for anxiety as well.  (He does touch on it being helpful for anxiety but also states that there are specific types of mental illness that need additional help.)

That being said, I am planning on implementing his program based on the 12-week approach he lines out in the book.  I missed his first talk at work (it was recorded, so I will be able to go back and watch  it) and am sincerely looking forward to attending the 3 talks that are left.

Overall, if you have ever ever struggled at all with depression, I would highly recommend checking this book out.

278 pages


No comments:

Post a Comment