Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD

Wheat Belly is an interesting book, albeit fairly repetitive.  Dr. Davis begins by talking about the history of wheat in the world and how the dwarf wheat of today differs from the Einkorn and Emmer wheat of the past.  He talks about the health repercussions (outside of Celiac Disease) of eating wheat and provides evidence on reasons to remove wheat from your diet.


That's all well and good, and he has a lot of very interesting pieces of information and antidotes about it.  But he's very repetitive.  The first third to half of the book was great - he did a great job explaining about wheat, why we should be concerned, and kept a great tone (he's a pretty funny author).

But then with each new ailment, the cure was wheat removal.  While I don't disagree that wheat is different now than it was a very generations back AND that we could all do to pay more attention to how much of it we consume, I don't think that the dwarf wheat of today is the sinister evil cause of all problems like Dr. Davis seems to think.  I think regardless of what kind of wheat, the fact that it is in SO MUCH of our food presents a problem.  Our sugar addiction in the United States presents a problem.  He talked about insulin resistance and PCOS and how it can be helped by removing wheat, but I think just removing some sugars and carbs could have similar benefits.

That being said, since reading the book I am a lot more aware of how much wheat I eat, so I suppose that is a good thing about it.

292 pages/7h32m

1 comment:

  1. You very succinctly said things I was thinking and said them better than I could have ever hoped! I'm impressed you finished too - I just couldn't.

    ReplyDelete