Sunday, September 1, 2019

Becoming Us: Using the Enneagram for a Gospel Centered Marriage by Beth & Jeff McCord

Becoming Us is about using the Enneagram in your marriage.  It starts out going over some background information on the Enneagram.  It talks about how Beth and Jeff met, their journey, issues they've had, how they happened upon the Enneagram, and how they used it on their journey.


There were sections on childhood messages and how they applied to the person as well as communication, conflict, and hope.  The last part talked about becoming our best self so we can be authentic in who we are to others, as well as how to understand others.

The last 1/3 or so of the book (Part 2) is dedicated to learning about the Enneagram type you might be.  I am either a Type 2, 6, or 9.  (But I think I'm a 9...I think.)  There's a lot of good information there about core fears, weaknesses, desires, and longings.  It's a great place (not to mention color-coded and beautiful) to get a nice overview of each type and discover your own.

The Enneagram has been around for a while and I do like it a lot.  This book did a good job of dispelling some of the misconception that the Enneagram couldn't be a Christian concept.  They did a very good job of integrating the Bible into the book.

Overall, though, I think the first half of the book lacked the depth needed to really do the work on discovering your Enneagram type and the last have was more of a fact list than deep work.  I know the deep work comes on the part of the reader.  I just would have appreciated more examples of ways to dive in instead of stories of Beth, Jeff, and their friends and how the Enneagram helped them.

It's still a great book and one I will absolutely be recommending to friends and probably will purchase one for our preacher as well (as he has mentioned the Enneagram in his sermons).

219 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment