Friday, November 15, 2013

Divergent by Veronica Roth

I finished Divergent by Veronica Roth.  It was good, not quite what I was expecting, but I'm also not sure what I was expecting.  The setting is a dystopian Chicago.  Our main character, Beatrice (Tris) has to pick between "factions" to decide what she is going to be.  She has an aptitude test that reveals she has multiple "ideal" factions, lending her to be Divergent.  We learn that being Divergent is a dangerous thing.  She picks the faction of Dauntless (the brave) and this book chronicles her training to become Dauntless, having to hid her Divergence, and other things I won't ruin.  Of course, there is a love story involved as well as loss.  The way the book ended set it up very well for a sequel (or, trilogy, as we know it will be).

I'm left with a lot of questions in this book that I'm hoping are answered in the subsequent books.  My biggest question is: What is happening outside the Chicago area?

Overall I enjoyed the book, though there were some slow areas.  I'm highly interested in reading the next book in the trilogy: Insurgent.

487 pages (about 11 hours to listen to)


No comments:

Post a Comment