Friday, December 20, 2013

The Power of Negative Thinking by Bob Knight

I just finished "The Power of Negative Thinking" by Bob Knight. While I enjoyed it, I think I would have enjoyed it more if I was a bigger college basketball fan. 

Coach Knight believes that by thinking negatively about a situation it better prepares a person for possible "worst case" outcomes. I did enjoy this perspective because it's similar to mine. Sometimes it's more important to understand what you can't do than what you can do. He points out that even at a young age, we learn what not to do. Red marks on a paper graded by a teacher, anyone?

There were a lot of basketball analogies and stories of his about basketball that I couldn't really relate well to. I enjoyed many of the stories nonetheless. One of my favorites was about his experience with the Olymipic Gold medal winning team he coached. 

Overall, it was a good book, but just didn't hold my interest as well as it could have if I were a big college hoops fan. It would be a great book for anyone who is a big basketball fan or a fan of Bob Knight. 

228 pages


No comments:

Post a Comment