I finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn about a week ago. Talk about a book that is creepy. Not in a normal creepy way either, just very, very disturbing.
Gillian Flynn manages to make her characters both somewhat likable and then some completely deplorable at the same time. The book begins with Camile, a Chicago reporter with small-town roots, going back to her hometown to cover a murder. Only it's no ordinary murder. It's a child, who was murdered in a similar fashion to another previous murder. Camile doesn't get along well with her mother, or any of the rest of her family. Which is probably good, because they are all super creepy. Camile has lots of issues and demons to deal with as the murder case moves forward.
The writing is very compelling, but it bothers me how much Missouri/Midwest bashing that Gillian Flynn does. She is from Kansas City, so I would have thought she would do a better job of enhancing the image instead of tearing it down like we are all a bunch of nincompoops. (Which, I'm sure the usage of the word nincompoops really helped my case there.) She did somewhat the same thing in Gone Girl.
Overall, I'd recommend this book. Aside from creepy, it was very compelling. Now, I need to read the last book (which was the 2nd one she wrote), Dark Places.
272 pages (but I listened to it on an audiobook)
No comments:
Post a Comment