Thursday, August 1, 2013

Inferno by Dan Brown

I'm a big fan of Dan Brown's novels. I was waiting excitedly for this book to be released. I bought it on the day it came out, in hardback, so you know I had to really want it. (Which is ok, the hardback was on a special, plus I have 2/3 of the other Robert Langdon books in hardback and they cost me a total of $2.)  I was excited to start it. Then I inquired if my book club was ok with a longish novel for my July pick. They were. Which is great, but I wanted it fresh in my mind for our discussion meeting, which is Saturday. So, I just started it last week. Waiting to read it was rough. 

But oh, it was worth waiting to read. Dan Brown did not disappoint. The premise is population growth. It took us until the early 1800's to reach a population of 1 billion. In 1960 it was 3 billion. Less than 40 years later, in 1999, we doubled that to 6 billion. Population growth has always fascinated me, especially at the exponential rate it is going now.  We could outgrow our resources if not careful.  Robert finds himself in a hospital in Florence with no recollection of arriving there or of the past 2-3 days. Of course, someone is after him. The reason is a world-wide problems with dire implications. 

I can't really say too much about this book aside from it being fantastic. There were so many plot twists that it was almost unreal, and I'm afraid anything I might write would spoil the book. As is his style though, the plot twists made sense and didn't leave you confused. I'd highly recommend this book, it's easily been my favorite so far this year. I would maybe even go so far as to say its my favorite Dan Brown book to date, but they are all so good, that would be hard to say.   I will say, the "big" thing in this book, I was able to figure out before they told me what it was. Only by a couple of pages though, so not too bad. 

461 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment