I knew this book was about book burning, but didn't really know the pretense of it or why. Basically, society has outlawed books because TV and other media is quicker and more easily accessed. Books are considered unnecessary and dangerous. The job of firemen is to now burn books, the houses which contain them (houses are now fireproof), and punish/arrest anyone who keeps books. I found the book pretty enjoyable, but also concerning.
I think every generation of people worries that the next generation is destroying the earth or society. There are always people in each generation who wish to save the earth/books/etc. This book was written in 1953, and yet today's society seems to have someone fallen in line with what Bradbury says. Huge TV's - ignoring society to listen to earpieces - being involved in the TV family and neglecting their own (Facebook, anyone?). The parallels that I have come up with, I'm sure someone could have also come up with in the 60;s, 70's, 80's or 90's - just with different objects. It does make me wonder what Bradbury (he just died about 6 or 8 months ago) thought of society today vs what he wrote as society in the book.
The book and story itself was good. Not my favorite, but still very good and though provoking. I liked how Guy (main character) develops through the book. I'm glad I read/listening to it. Sometimes I don't understand why "classics" are "classic", but I do like this book.
190 pages
No comments:
Post a Comment