Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton

I didn't even have this book on my radar to read. I've been having book distraction lately and bouncing around between books. A coworker suggested audio books and I knew our library had access to overdrive, so thought I'd try it. I had our book club book, but couldn't download to my phone without a computer so I looked for something else. I happened across "Soul Surfer". I'd heard of Bethany Hamilton, so thought I'd try it and could always not finish it if I didn't like it.

I LOVED it. She is so inspirational. She is a bright, young, Christian girl who was dealt a bad hand and became an role model to many when she refused to let the loss of her arm at 13 affect her and her life goals. She puts her faith at #1, which I loved. I can't really describe the book other than it was a wonderful surprise for me at how good it was.

One quote from the beginning stuck with me. When our firstborn died, my faith is what got me through. Many people said that the way we handled it and our faith were inspirational to them, but we were just doing what we needed to get through. I think that's how Bethany felt. She put it extremely well, and it's exactly how I feel and couldn't put it into words as eloquently as she did:

"I don’t pretend to have all the answers to why bad things happen to good people. But I do know that God knows all the answers, and sometimes He lets you know in this life, and sometimes He asks you to wait so that you can have a face-to-face talk about it. What I do know is that I want to use what happened to me as an opportunity to tell people that God is worthy of our trust, and to show them that you can go on and do wonderful things in spite of terrible events that happen. I don’t think it does any good to sit around feeling sorry for yourself. I made myself a promise: I’m not going to wallow or walk around moaning, ‘Woe is me!’” - Bethany Hamilton, "Soul Surfer"

304 pages (or about 3 hrs and 54 minutes to listen to)

No comments:

Post a Comment