Saturday, October 2, 2010

Finished Book #4: Night by Elie Wiesel

Night by Elie Wiesel is a fairly quick read. One that everyone should read though. He has written more than 40 books. He also won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986.

I'm not going to lie, this book is hard to read. Not academically hard, or long, or anything like that. Hard to read as a human being. Elie is Jewish. He lived in Europe during World War II. The book is about his time in the concentration camps. There were parts of this book, that I honestly think I could have nightmares about. I cried multiple times while reading this book. I am a firm believer that we need to learn all that we can about the darkest times in world history (as hard and horrible as that may be) to ensure that we, as humans, do not repeat those mistakes and inhumanities. Elie's book only reaffirmed this belief.

I'm not going to try and summarize what he wrote. His translator was his wife (he had an older translation, but retold the story for this new translations). I cannot imagine how difficult it was for his wife to write this book for him. The horrors are worth knowing about, but, well, as cliché as it sounds, seriously, just read the book.

120 pages

1 comment: