Wuthering Heights...I don't even know where to start. I did not enjoy this book at all. It might be a "classic" and have movies and cliff notes and all sorts of good things about it, but I did not like it. It is about Heathcliff, who is an orphan who happens to fall in love with Catherine (and she with him). However, they marry other people, and are determined to make each other jealous and live torturous lives. Catherine dies (not a spoiler, it's plastered all over the cover of the book), which leaves Heathcliff determined to seek revenge on her left-behind husband/her family. The remainder of the book deals with that.
The problem: It takes about 2/3 or better of the book to get up to the point where Catherine passes away. I understand you need to have the back-story of what happened, but there are parts and characters in the book that absolutely have nothing to do with the plot line. There is a stable-boy who doesn't speak well. She writes his dialogue phonetically (kind of), and it took me much longer than it should to figure out what on earth he was trying to say. (Which generally contributed nothing at all to the events occurring in the book.) There is a character who really has no point except to show hatred towards Heathcliff.
Overall, it was an ok story, but it could have been told effectively in about 75 pages. I wish I could say that this was a great book that everyone should read, but as I didn't enjoy it at all, I cannot. If you have read this book, I'd love to know why you liked it, and what on earth I missed.
370 pages
I wish I was as good at writing my reviews as you are.
ReplyDelete