Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Wait, What? And Life’s Other Essential Questions by James E. Ryan

I listened to this book and did enjoy it but there wasn’t anything I found earth shattering or new, but the way he delivered it was enjoyable.

Essentially, Ryan states that life can be boiled down to 5 essential questions to ask that get to the heart of matters at hand.

“Wait, what?” - the root of all understanding.
“I wonder...?” - the heart of all curiosity.
“Couldn’t we at least...?” - the beginning of all progress
“How can I help?” - the base of all good relationships.
“What truly matters?” - get to the heart of life.

There was also a bonus question that you should prepare yourself to answer at the end of your life, “And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so?”  I love the even so at the end because its showing that there is pain and hardship and really sucky stuff that happens in life, but even with all that crap piling up we can still lead full, happy, joyful, content lives.

A lot of this book includes stories from the author which was nice and relatable.  These are all  questions that I have found myself asking a lot, but not really thinking about the why I was asking.  This book did give me the pause to think about why I was asking what I do.  As I’m a naturally inquisitive person, sometimes I ask things without thinking.

Overall, I really liked the book, but it wasn’t a favorite because it wasn’t anything really that new.

144 pages/2 hrs 49 min

No comments:

Post a Comment