Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Halsey Street by Naima Coster

Halsey Street was a Kindle First Reads for Jan (maybe Feb?).  For whatever reason my random selection of books have taken on a decidedly Dominican Republic theme lately.  It's funny, I'll be reading a book I randomly grab and the DR is mentioned, featured, or whatever.  Anyway, that's an aside.

Halsey Street is the area in NYC where Penelope Grand grew up.  Her mother, Mirella, (an immigrant from the Dominican Republic) and father, Ralph, (a black, American man) ran a record store in Bed-Stuy area of Brooklyn.  Ralph and Penny shared their love of music, and Mirella always felt like an outsider to them.  She cleaned houses and saved all her money from doing so, letting Ralph provide from his record store.  Mirella left Ralph shortly after she and Penny, an aspiring artist,  had a fight and moved back to the Dominican Republic.  Penny left as well, but some time later was back to take care of her father after an accident.

This story revolves around Penny coming to terms with her heritage and herself.  Mirella learning that she and her daughter will always be connected.  Ralph learning that sometimes you place too much value on the things you shouldn't and lose the things that should have had more value.

All in all it was a good book.  I enjoyed learning about the culture and changes in the Bed-Stuy area of NYC, of the DR, of the dynamics between a family and how those connections can be broken and repaired.

The biggest complaint I have is the abrupt ending of the story.  There was a short epilogue that helped it, but overall the story just kind of ended.  It made sense, to show that you don't get forever to make amends and things can happen anytime, but it was just too quick.  I'd have liked a little more resolution.

331 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment