Friday, July 21, 2017

Girling Up by Mayim Bialik


So I absolutely adore Mayim Bialik.  When I was little, I was told constantly, "You look like Blossom!" (Especially when I was wearing a hat.)  Fast forward years later and now I remind people of Amy Farrah Fowler on Big Bang Theory.  Both in looks and mannerisms.  I can even see it and I don't like to admit stuff like that.  

I haven't read Beyond the Sling, her other book on attachment parenting, but I do want to read it.  This book could be subtitled, "An honest look at being a girl."  It was good and if I could go back in time and give 5th-6th grade me this book, I totally would do it.  

The first chapter is all about your body and how it works - including a few tidbits some might consider taboo like masterbation, transgenderism, etc.  After that there is all sorts of information.  Mindfullness, healthy eating, choosing a career, crushes, boys, just a bit of everything.  Through the entire book, though, she reassures the reader that we are all unique and it does not mean something is wrong with you, you are just being you.  (A message we all [or at least me] could stand to hear.)

Mayim herself narrates the audio book and it was good.  I'd probably read the ebook or physical book though, because I know there are drawings and such I missed out on.

192 pages/3hr43min

No comments:

Post a Comment