I had wanted to read this book for a while because there are some areas of my life that just aren’t turning out the way I expected them to. I want to say that this book really helped me feel better about that, but it didn’t. I don’t know if that is indicative of a lack of faith, my situation, my desire to just say screw it all or what.
There were some areas of this book that I liked. There was a great chapter about how some suffering just happens because of the world and some suffering (brought on by sin) is because of ourselves. For instance, the death of a child is just suffering that happens. It’s out of our control. continually lying to your employer and then getting fired is suffering brought on by our own sin. That chapter I really liked.
Some of the book came across as a little judgmental to me. When she was detailing her friends affair she sought to tell her how she could have avoided it instead of provide a listening ear - which may not be how it happened in real life, but it’s how the book came across.) She stated no cliches or “platitudes” at the beginning, but the book was pretty full of them.
Even at that, though, it was a great book and you could tell that she’s really had a tough go at it during the writing of the book. She does state that God will definitely give you more than you can handle (which is something I’ve said before - it’s to cause you to lean into Him). But she states it is so that He can shape you into the person you are meant to be. While I understand the meaning here, that’s like saying God causes the bad things to happen - which she talked about earlier in the book (see above). So that is a bit of a circular argument.
There is a lot of good in this book though and I would recommend it to anyone who is staring down a life that they didn’t expect to look the way it does.
304 pages
No comments:
Post a Comment