Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Hidden by Catherine McKenzie

I've had this book on my Kindle for almost 4 years.  I just hadn't read it, but it's on my TBR list on Goodreads.  I get an email probably once a month about a "giveaway" for this book.

I read it because I wanted to mark it read and get rid of the stupid "giveaway" emails.

I thought the fact that it was being given away so often meant one of two things:
- It's a great book, and the author tries to give back by giving away books
- It's a terrible book, and the author tries to earn readers by giving away books

I think it's the latter.  The book is about Jeff, who dies early in the book.  He leaves behind his wife Claire and his coworker/secret love/friend/whatever Tish.  Tish goes to the funeral.  Claire gets suspicions.  The book was written with Claire, Tish, and Jeff narrating.  It got confusing to keep straight who was who.  You eventually knew, but overall it was frustrating.

The characters themselves were pretty superficial.  They weren't all that well-developed.  We got a lot of what in the story, but not a lot of why or how.  I found them simultaneously annoying and interesting, but not a great interesting.  There were so many weird connections, too.  Claire used to date Jeff's brother Tim.  Seth, Claire and Jeff's son read a poem from Zoey's (Tish and Brian's daughter) book at his Dad's funeral.  The connections were supposed to make the story complex but just muddled it.

The story pretty much played out how I thought it would and the epilogue didn't surprise me at all.  Overall, a decent read for a blah day, but not what I expected.

305 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment