Thursday, May 8, 2014

Happy Accidents by Jane Lynch

I listened to the narration of Happy Accidents by Jane Lynch.  I somewhat remember her work before Glee (Best in Show, Two and a Half Men), but mostly know her as Sue Sylvester.

I really enjoyed this book.  Jane (I feel like I can be on a first-name basis with her now) had wanted to be an actress/comedienne for a long time.  Instead of being an "overcoming the odds and my crappy childhood" book like so many other stars, this one was, "Hey, I worked damn hard and achieved my goals."  Not to say she didn't have her struggles.  She was an alcoholic, but didn't know it.  She decided one day that enough was enough and just quit.  I kind of identified with that because it's how I tend to do things.  Deciding to do something is 80% of the battle.  She did go to AA meetings and such.  Her coming out was interesting to me also.  She wrote her parents a letter at the urging of a therapist and then mailed it.

Some of the ways she was cast in movies she is in was crazy.  The movie "Best in Show" (which, to be honest, I'm not a fan of but now want to go re-watch it) was done without a script.  Crazy!  She had a very successful improv career before becoming Hollywood famous.  Turns out she was a bit of a diva, which I did not expect at all!

Her story is a really easy read because she keeps it light.  I found myself laughing often because she is just so funny.  (Part of it could be that she was narrating it, so you didn't have to imagine how she was saying it because she was actually saying it.)  I'd really recommend reading it.  If you are a fan of Glee, Jane Lynch, or any of her work, it's highly interesting.

325 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment