Monday, March 12, 2012

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I honestly had no idea what to think when starting this book. I'd heard not much about the book, just that the movie was good.

I enjoyed the Jacob character a lot. I liked how the story started with him as an old man. I've always been fascinated by the untold stories of the older generation. It makes me think about the stories we will tell in 50 years? Will tales of the internet and Facebook and my memories of 9/11 be that important? I'm sure they will be less exciting or telling of who I am than the tales of Jacob and Marlena. Especially a candid tale of a Depression-era circus.

I found the interview with Sara at the end of the book very interesting. While a work of fiction, she drew much of the book from research that she had conducted. I liked how she made a nod to the Biblical story of Jacob. I also enjoyed the "discussion questions" because they gave me things to ponder about the book. (I should find a book club.)

I would have liked to have read more detail about Jacob and Marlena's adventures after the circus disbanded but before Jacob ended up in the nursing home. The small amount she gave us was enough for the story, but I wouldn't mind a sequel with more detail.

All-in-all a very nice piece of historical fiction. I'm curious to see this movie now, too.

335 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment